My Business And I
by Maggie Dennison
Marketing Coach and Writer
"Maggie Dennison is fiercely committed to helping independent professionals and small businesses create a clear, focused marketing message that helps them attract the right clients."
I know what's it like to feel lost in your marketing and to wonder why clients are not choosing you.
My mission is to help you get clearly focused on the right message. Then you connect with your ideal clients with impact and integrity so they know exactly how you can help them and why they should hire you and no one else.
As kid I was intensely curious...always asking WHY people did what they did and WHAT did they really want.
My mother used to say: "You're too nosey for your own good!"
Back then I didn't know that marketing is based on knowing what triggers people to take action and putting that into words - it's as much about human behavior and the principles of sales and persuasion as it is about the facts of what you do.
When I was 11 and my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said "I want to be an adventurer!" I pictured myself roaming around darkest Africa or sledding across Antartica.
I never dreamed that my curiosity, my interest in human behavior and my passion for adventure would morph into helping others find their right message.
But that's the foundation of my work as a marketing writer.
In a comprehensive, from-the-ground-up approach, I help you explore the depths of your business and discover information you didn't know was there.
We put it all together into a compelling message that taps into the deepest desires of your ideal clients and encourages them to take action.
Clients tell me that my work with them has had a great impact on their businesses.
Similar benefits are waiting for you when you work with me.
What really lights me up is watching the 'ahas' that my clients experience when they're willing to engage in this adventure.
7 things about my journey that might surprise or delight you - while serving our work together.
- After almost 20 years in corporate Europe, split between England and Germany and ranging from the more traditional shipping industry to progressive hi-tech during its boom years of the 80s, I quit. In my last position I managed a group of editors and graphic artists, who produced training materials in English and German.
(Actually, I'd already quit corporate once before. That time I'd spent almost two years traveling round the world with a backpack. I ended up back in the corporate arena....but that's a story for another time).
- After I quit (the second time) I moved to Santa Monica, California, to complete a Masters Degree in Psychology, with a view to becoming a psychotherapist. Although I value that work, it turned out that it wasn't mine to do.
- Instead I combined my counseling skills with my business background to start my first business as a business coach. That was back in the mid-nineties, when the coaching industry was in its infancy.
- Then I moved into copywriting, writing marketing materials for small businesses. Sometimes our work together includes coaching if that turns out to be necessary to uncover the depth of information I need to write really compelling materials.
- Oh - and in case you're wondering - I grew up in Northern Ireland (I still have the accent to prove it...) and have lived in 7 different countries so far.
- In my spare time, I love to read crime novels: I get a kick out of trying to figure out who did it, how they did it and why they did it. There's that curiosity at work again!
End of story...for now...
How to find out if I might be the right person to walk by your side on your journey through creating a clear marketing message (maybe I'm not and that's OK too):
Go here to get in touch so we can talk about your project and I can answer your questions.